“Centre of Science for Villages”, Wardha Commemorates “Gandhi 150 Anniversary”
“Centre of Science for Villages” (CSV), a science and technology based voluntary organization, is engaged in activities which were initiated by Mahatma Gandhi from Maganwadi, Wardha, through All India Village Industries Association (AIVIA). AIVIA was established in 1934. For paying respect to Father of Nation, CSV has planned year long activities to mark 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Centre of Science for Villages”, Dattapur, Wardha will commemorate “Gandhi 150 Anniversary” from 30th January 2018 and it will continue till 2nd October 2019 and even extended afterwards.
Following proposed programs will be carried out during this phase:
- Seminars, workshops and debates amongst students and villagers on “Gandhi’s Thoughts on Science and Technology and its Relevance in Present Times” twice in a month during 2018 and 2019. This initiative will facilitate
- Cultivating innovative and result oriented ideas.
- Highlighting various obstacles faced by common citizen.
- Aspirations of creating atmosphere of positive thinking and
- Enhancement self confidence to handle challenging situation of any degree and extent.
- CSV will organize “Rural Knowledge Fairs” at clusters of village level in association with local educational institutions /science and technology based institutions /cultural institutions /people’s voluntary groups. This initiative will emphasize on local resources, scientific traditional and modern technologies or skills so that the idea of self reliance (at village or cluster of village level) can be imbibed amongst people. The process is aimed to create local enterprises capable enough in exploring possible scope of development depending upon locally available resources and input of technologies.
- CSV will organize number of training/orientation programs to generate traditional and / or innovative job opportunities (self employment) for 150 youths in rural, semi-urban and urban out pockets of the area of focal attention. These enterprises will predominantly use local resources from agriculture, forest, minerals etc.
- CSV will promote environmentally friendly and culturally relevant initiatives like
- Waste land management techniques through afforestation.
- Watershed or Cover Management –
- Organic Farming- promotion and extended activities through support services to be availed to fellow farmers of the focal area.
- Promotion of Renewable Energy Resources.
- Taking up and providing technical assistance to the other doer organisations on Total Sanitation Campaign for making villages Clean and Open Defecation Free (ODF)
- Promotion of ethnic biodiversity (vegetables, pulses, millets, wild fruits etc.) and
- Promotion of “Artisanal Trade”
- CSV is planning to construct 150 houses by using local resources like mud (Kachhe Mitti Ke Pakke Makan) and / or bamboo (Poor Man’s Timber) for the poorest of the poor by generating funds from local community.
All the proposed activities are planned in such a way that the collective result of these initiatives will enhance the confidence level of fellow villagers, artisans, youths and women so as to empower them with fundamental Gandhian values that Mahatma aspired for. It will also enhance the level of prosperity through opening up the possible spheres of technologically sound rural economic practices for making the village life more and more result oriented as well as peace centric. It must not drive a villager toward a complicated lifestyle, but, can equip the rural youth with modern and simplest mechanism of instrumentation for enhancing their skills and competence.
Research Component of the Project
The entire project is also aimed collectively toward focusing upon some of the research components through pilot initiatives. Some of such initiatives will be as follows:
- Identification of Critical Competencies creating obstacle in the prosperity of rural youths as well as neo artisans.
- Exploring possibilities of developing some of the rural industrial practices for enhancing critical competencies duly identified during the study.
- Preparing Close User Group of the technology for examining grass root level obstacles and probable limitations.
- Studies on success indicators and rectification of the Training as well as Product Diversification flow charts.
Programs mentioned above will be incorporated in the life style of people.
You can help “Centre of Science for Villages” by
- Providing human resource to work with CSV in the field.
- Inviting CSV staff in institutions for delivering a lecture.
- Help CSV in organizing seminars, workshop, rural knowledge fairs etc.
- Sharing successful Technology having rural application.
- Sponsor training kit for trainees.
- Sponsoring number of training programs in selected villages for entrepreneurship development.
- Sponsoring a cluster of houses for the poor.
- Providing vehicle (four-wheeler) for movement in the villages.
- Publishing activity based articles, news, books, pamphlets etc. in print and electronic media.
Dr. Soham Pandya,
Secretary & Executive Director,
Centre of Science for Villages,